Since I missed out the entire month of July and a good chunk of August, I decided to pay tribute to the summer that is rapidly passing us by with a super refreshing drink. And it’s not just refreshing, it is also incredibly nutritious. When you make a blended beverage with melon, you don’t need to add any water. Melons are mostly water, after all. And this means every sip is loaded with vitamins.
You could make a similar beverage with any melon you like. I find the combination of cantaloupe, lime, and mint to be magically harmonious. Honeydew would be excellent too. And don’t get me started on watermelon, my favorite melon of all. (Though if you use watermelon, eliminate the agave nectar from the recipe).
The cantaloupe in particular is bursting at the seams with vitamins A and C, and it is good for your vision (carrots aren’t the only beta carotene provider) and lungs. Combine it with tangy lime juice and refreshing mint, and this is a perfect drink for one of those late summer afternoons by the pool. If you’re in the mood to make it a cocktail, a little splash of vodka could send this over the top.
Cantaloupe Cooler (serves 2)
- 4 cups of coarsely chopped cantaloupe (remove rind and seeds)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- handful of mint leaves (about eight)
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (more if you want it sweeter)
- ice cubes and mint sprigs for serving
1. Place the chopped cantaloupe pieces, lime juice, and mint in a food processor or blender. Process until completely blended and no chunks of melon remain, about a minute.
2. Taste the mixture and decide how much sweetener you need to add. It will be quite tangy at this point, so start with a tablespoon of agave. Blend again, taste again. Adjust sweetness to your personal taste.
3. Pour into two glasses and add some ice cubes. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.